Here is a simple raised bed project from Lowes.com that anyone can build with very few materials and tools. Raised beds do not have to be fancy; the vegetables and flowers are not picky; they can be made out of cement blocks, sod, straw-bales, stones, and even open bags of potting mix.
For those on slower internet connections; here is the basic construction method.
- 2 x 4s
- A 4 x 4 post
- Landscape fabric
- Flowers or vegetables of your choice.
- Framing Square
- Drill with bits and screw-driving bits
- Circular saw
- Work gloves
- Tape Measure
- Utility knife
- Select a location with plenty of sun.
- Mark the outline of the garden bed on the ground.
- Check the ground with a level to make sure the base is even.
- Cut the landscaping fabric the correct size to cover the soil with about 6 inches extra along each edge.
- Cut the 2 x 4s and 4 x 4 s to length, screw the ends of three longer 2 x 4s to a pair of 4 x 4s with the edges and ends flush to form panels. Then screw the shorter 2 x 4s to the 4 x 4s to form the box.
- Position the box on the landscape fabric and check for level.
- Cut any excess landscaping fabric and add soil or compost.
- Plant your vegetables or flowers.
A raised bed can be a great addition for those on a smaller house lot, or for those looking to incorporate the square foot method of gardening.
Good luck with your future gardening project!