I had bookmarked this video over a year ago to show my brother since he was thinking of possibly building a tiny home. I was cleaning out my bookmarks folder today when I found the old youtube link. I meant to share it with others looking for a cheap cabin option, a tiny home, or an in-law apartment; so I guess better late than never!
Not only are the cabins low priced, they also have some pretty interesting features.
- 5 Year Fix It All Warranty: Any flaw or defect that is a result of materials or workmanship which occur during the first five years you own the building will be repaired by them.
- Limited Lifetime Warranty: On all pressure treated wood, there is a lifetime warranty against termites and fungal decay (from pressure treating company).
- 50 Year Warranty On Painted Siding: On their painted product line (from the siding manufacturer).
- Low Price Guarantee: They’ll Match any competitors advertised price for the same quality building.
Quality of Construction
- On the pressure treated product line, siding is 5/8 inch pressure treated plywood.
- On the painted product line, siding is 1/2 inch LP Smartside plywood.
- On the metal product line, all metal used is 29 gauge metal.
- Floor decking on all buildings is 5/8 inch pressure treated, marine grade plywood.
- Skids and floor joists on all buildings are pressure treated.
- Exposed nails are ring shank & galvanized for maximum strength, which means no rust spots.
- All buildings come with locks and keys.
- Pressure treated buildings are water sealed.
- 30 year architectural shingles – All pressure treated and painted buildings come complete with residential grade 30 year shingles.
- 29 gauge metal roof – All metal buildings come with 29 gauge metal roofs. This is also an available option on pressure treated and painted buildings.
- Wall studs on pressure treated and painted buildings are 24 inch on center, doubled under siding seams to help seal building, same strength as 16 inch on center (as in home construction).
- Wall studs on metal buildings are 4ft. on center with double lathing strips for extra support and stability.
- Floor joists are 2×4’s, 16 inch on center and set into notched skids to prevent twisting. (Floor joists never span more than about 5 ft without being supported by a 4×6 skid.) Floor Joists are 12 inch on center on all Garages and 10×20 size buildings.
- Skids are pressure treated 4×6’s not 4×4’s.
They also offer Rent-to-Own Financing; which for people on a limited building budget is a HUGE benefit.
[quote_box_center]Our Rent-to-Own program is an easy way to purchase a Backyard Outfitters building without having to have the full purchase amount upfront. With NO Credit Checks, all you have to do is pay a small security deposit plus the first month’s rent, and we’ll deliver a building to your location. From then on, you pay monthly rent for 36 months and the building is yours! In addition, you can pay the building off at any time with no penalty. You won’t find a cheaper or more attainable Rent-to-Own plan anywhere.[/quote_box_center]
Now the video above is over a year old but I contacted the company and they said the price is still accurate. I inquired about the rent to own option and they said that they don’t do the financing in house, they have outside companies that handle it. It’ s a 60/40 payment where 60% goes toward the principle and 40% towards the rent. Based on the model above, the monthly payment would be $356+tax.
So do your due diligence and if everything checks out; Backyard Outfitters might just be what you are looking for.