700 dollars a square foot | Alternative Energy | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed F-Alternative-Energy
700 dollars a square foot
K
Admin
Forum Posts: 31782
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
18 Dec ’15 - 7:44 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

that is insane

The solar-powered and wind-powered EcoCapsule of your dreams is finally available for pre-order. Developed by Nice Architects, the self-sustaining mobile home promises a “new way of sustainable living” that lets you live with greater freedom in almost anywhere in the world.

If you'd like an EcoCapsule of your own, act now - the first run consists of just 50 pods, and they're going fast.

more http://inhabitat.com.....pre-order/

Jain
Boonies, California
Farm Hand
Members
Forum Posts: 210
18 Dec ’15 - 10:44 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

From the DIY cabin of the 1950s to the A-frame of the 1960s to the yurt of the 1970s to THIS?!? Just another piece of 'eco-trash' to blight the landscape?

How is this sustainable? Does it come with a plastic repair kit for when the exterior shell cracks and leaks from UV? Are the polycrystal PV panels replaceable when they degrade? Why doesn't it have a 'boulder' exterior so that it at least makes an attempt to BLEND with a setting? There isn't a whole lot more here than an old Airsteam with some PV panels and tack on wind generator could provide CHEAPER.

Guess we are slipping from DIY to HID (having it DONE)?

My personal motto - The Home, a peace worth fighting for.

Gravel Road
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 1455
18 Dec ’15 - 7:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

....I always wanted an A frame...love them...also want a stone tower.

Will be interesting to see what our place comes out per sq ft.

"The universe is wider than our views of it." -HDT
Jain
Boonies, California
Farm Hand
Members
Forum Posts: 210
18 Dec ’15 - 7:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Gravel Road said

Will be interesting to see what our place comes out per sq ft.

A frames were quick/cheap to build - basically all roof! But they don't create a lot of useable sq FOOTage and lots of lost space in the peak area not to mention heat layering problems. I long thought a gambrel (aka barn) style of roof was more attractive and resulted in better use of space and heat heat/air circulation.

I've made several dry stacked stone retaining walls so also love stone building. But its heavy and challenging work! Slipforms with laying rock and mortar in, as one built up, made the most sense to me. A drawback of stone is the $&^#$ building codes that want the stones reinforced. Not difficult in the fill-up slip form method, but stone on stone stacking could = drilling EACH stone to pinion them to each other, just sounds crazy to me. A 'unique' motel - Madonna Inn <www.madonnainn.com> had to do this to make the 'Caveman' room - http://www.madonnain.....ms/137.php. Of course this is in shaking, quaking California (home of the fruits, nuts and flakes).

My personal motto - The Home, a peace worth fighting for.

K
Admin
19 Dec ’15 - 7:27 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Gravel Road said

I always loved A-frames, wife hates them, no A-frame for me 🙁

We must be related, this is the design we are going to build on our land when we ever get to it

Gravel Road
Rancher
Members
23 Dec ’15 - 2:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

K,  the A frames have that 'camp feel' for me and their strength/simplicity really work for me.  The last camp my dad built was an A frame, so there is some nostalgia there.

I am very familiar with the fire look out 'camp'.  Always wanted to do that too...don't think that will happen though in this lifetime.

The big dream is to build a slip form stone tower with a roof deck...have a couple of ideas that should make the building a bit easier...would love to go 30 ft high with a roof top observation post.

Reality...probably will do a small A frame for fun and memories...actually thought about putting one on top of the root cellar when we build it...kind of guest cabin of sorts.

K
Admin
23 Dec ’15 - 2:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Lol, we are related,  that is exactly what we are going to do, 16x16 slip form and then add the lookout on top

Gravel Road
Rancher
Members
24 Dec ’15 - 8:34 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My dad was a Milk Man (home delivery)...you never know who my half brothers are...lol...

A little A frame would look cute with Christmas Lights on it...and a strand of  LED white lights inside could run of a solar/batter set up...hmm, probably more than would be needed.

This is turning into a project now...wish my design software still worked...would play with a design...what do you think?..10/14 root cellar of 8 inch block ( have about 300 ) then pour concrete on top and do Aframe on top...keep the A's so I can use standard 2x6 ( don't think I would need 2x8s)...some small windows in the back and a 32inch door in the front (I have those in the barn already)...might be tough to get much of a loft in it, but at least one for some gear...maybe a folding bunk or two...okay...this is getting out of hand.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 698

Currently Online:
25 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

easytapper: 2149

DangerDuke: 2030

groinkick: 1667

PorkChopsMmm: 1515