New to Forum and Looking For Feedback - Free 24/7 Electricity With Micro-Hydro Ceiling Fan PMA | Alternative Energy | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed F-Alternative-Energy
New to Forum and Looking For Feedback - Free 24/7 Electricity With Micro-Hydro Ceiling Fan PMA
teacherman
Green Horn
Members
Forum Posts: 15
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
20 Apr ’15 - 6:01 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've been working on this project for the last 9 months or so and I think I've come up with something that looks promising. The goal is to use easily obtainable, low cost materials (preferably used) and have it suitable for a wide range of conditions.
Please go easy on me. I'm looking for constructive criticism only, please.Teacherman

The following users say thank you to teacherman for this useful post:

easytapper
K
Admin
Forum Posts: 31782
20 Apr ’15 - 8:18 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

that's brilliant, great job! How much RPM's can the ceiling fan safely handle? 

earthenstead
Central Arkansas
Farm Hand
Members
Forum Posts: 853
20 Apr ’15 - 3:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome to the forum. Not sure what kind of criticism you were anticipating, constructive or otherwise. It appears to work as intended. Thats a really beautiful place you've got there. I'd love some photos/video of the house and stream in daylight. How big is the stream? How big is your property? Looks like you have some acreage. Most of RI appears rather densely packed, where in the state are you that you are able to have such open space?

DangerDuke
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 2030
21 Apr ’15 - 10:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm curious to find out how much flow in terms of GPM you have going through that creek. Do you think you could produce more power if you bottle necked the creek through a small section of culvert maybe?

I know very little about hydroelectric power so there are legit questions :)

teacherman
Green Horn
Members
21 Apr ’15 - 9:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

earthenstead said
Welcome to the forum. Not sure what kind of criticism you were anticipating, constructive or otherwise. It appears to work as intended. Thats a really beautiful place you've got there. I'd love some photos/video of the house and stream in daylight. How big is the stream? How big is your property? Looks like you have some acreage. Most of RI appears rather densely packed, where in the state are you that you are able to have such open space?

Thanks, Earthenstead.....

Constructive is always best.  There may be a way to improve the output, but with just 4 feet of "head" and a limited amount of flow I don't think I'll get much more out of it. The water wheel and generator are  actually working way better than I ever dreamed it would. My hopes were to simply light up a light bulb on the shore. If I had just done this 30 years ago, I could have saved myself a lot of aggravation. In the early years, power seemed to go out every other week....

It's funny that you ask about the property. My wife and I will be putting it "on the market" this spring after 35 years of country living. It consists of 28 acres of mixed hardwoods, an acre or so field, and the pond area you see in the video. We literally built it ourselves with stone off the property and native rough-sawn lumber. The pond (which was excavated with DEM's blessing about 25 years ago) has a small year round stream running along next to it. During the driest years the flow has gone as low as 20-30 GPM but it's never completely stopped flowing. By setting up a siphon pipe I can keep the pond full without the silt problems incurred when a stream runs into a stream directly. We've successfully stocked it with trout in years past, but lately the bass and bluegills have taken it over.

Foster is literally on the Connecticut line. There's still a lot of woodland out here and with a 4.5 acre minimum building lot the hopes are that it will stay rural. It was/is a great place to raise kids and I will miss it....

Steve

PS My wife and I will be moving into Connecticut with my daughter, son-in-law and three beautiful grand-kids. And the new property has a much bigger stream with a lot more drop. I'm excited about the possibilities!

teacherman
Green Horn
Members
21 Apr ’15 - 9:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

KVR said
that's brilliant, great job! How much RPM's can the ceiling fan safely handle? 

A lot more than the water supply can produce. I've spun it up to the point where it was producing 150 volts with a drill. Not sure of the RPM's, though.

teacherman
Green Horn
Members
21 Apr ’15 - 9:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

DangerDuke said
I'm curious to find out how much flow in terms of GPM you have going through that creek. Do you think you could produce more power if you bottle necked the creek through a small section of culvert maybe?

I know very little about hydroelectric power so there are legit questions :)

Tried that, but not enough "head" to do anything with hydro. That's why I moved the whole thing over the bank at the end of the pond. There's about a four foot difference between the water level and the outlet at the base of the box. The three pipes are actually siphoning the water over the bank - which is why they actually have some pressure.

Thanks for looking, DD, and those are legit questions.

K
Admin
Forum Posts: 31782
22 Apr ’15 - 7:27 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Connecticut is a beautiful state, probably the favorite part of our drive back home

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 698

Currently Online:
23 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

easytapper: 2149

DangerDuke: 2030

groinkick: 1667

PorkChopsMmm: 1515

Gravel Road: 1455