Most Americans can't handle a $500 surprise bill | Page 2 | Emergency Preparedness | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed F-Emergency-Preparedness
Most Americans can't handle a $500 surprise bill
K
Admin
Forum Posts: 31782
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
12 Feb ’16 - 9:46 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I found it was the little things that added up real quick to form a large bill, need a piece of pine, run to the store, missing a couple outlets, run to the store. I had almost 7000 dollars of receipts for stuff like this.

Gravel Road
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 1455
12 Feb ’16 - 11:09 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh I know...been there before when I did my first house years ago...and that was 'easier', it was a modular ranch.  so this is clearly a bigger deal with greater opportunity to have things add up quick...We'll get through it.  After all, things cost what they cost, just need to be wise about it.

"The universe is wider than our views of it." -HDT
K
Admin
14 Feb ’16 - 9:36 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

how quickly do you guys plan to have it accomplished?

Gravel Road
Rancher
Members
14 Feb ’16 - 11:20 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

...Would like to be able to move in by April of 2017.  That would be about 12 months from once we start the footers.  I won't be able to get much time off work, so this will be almost all weekends and a number of nights after work.  I don't want to move in until the inside is done and complete, the outside will be wrapped up summer of 2017. A lot depends on how quickly things go. We expect to be closed in by early August of this year.  All framing and rough plumbing will be done at that time and the electric service should be in.  So at that point we would have to wire the house, cover the walls and ceilings, final plumbing fixtures will be set by plumber, and I plan on building kitchen cabinets.  That is a very 'big picture plan, obviously there are many other details.  I also want to make sure that we stay on budget the best we can.  We have a plan, we have the right support people, we have the right suppliers...but Murphy is always close by.  I think it's possible we could get in by Christmas 2016, I just don't want to kill myself or the Mrs trying to make a dead line like that.  Want this to be enjoyable and keep the f-bombs to a minimum.  One of the big things is that I want to enjoy the companionship of friends that are pitching in on this.  Hey, it's my last house, I plan to die there, I just don't want to die while building it.

K
Admin
15 Feb ’16 - 9:30 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sounds like a good plan, sometimes I wish we had taken it a little bit slower to have enjoyed it more but it's not in my personality, I get obsessive about accomplishing things, always been that way. Its why I am kind of surprised the workshop has taken so long.

Gravel Road
Rancher
Members
15 Feb ’16 - 9:43 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I want everything fast, cheap and quality...can't really have all three at the same time...I get how it feels...this will be a change of pace for me...and if we are ready to move in sooner it will be a nice bonus.  One thing for me will be:  even if we are not moved in, I vow to have a Christmas tree set up in the house even if we are not living there.

The following users say thank you to Gravel Road for this useful post:

Speedfunk
DangerDuke
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 2030
15 Feb ’16 - 6:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Any of you read The Richest Man In Babylon? I got turned onto it recently and it's a fantastic book about how wealth is created, and how anyone can do it. i found some of the stuff in the book I was already doing, and some new things that I hadn't thought about, but I'm now making plans to put into play. You guys should really check it out, it changed the way I look at wealth. I got it for like two bucks on audible, and I listen to it at least once a week now.

Check it out here

The following users say thank you to DangerDuke for this useful post:

spotted-horses, K
Speedfunk
Farm Hand
Members
Forum Posts: 162
15 Feb ’16 - 10:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Remember there is not enough money in circulation to pay off the debt + interest...its rigged.  Borrow 10 pay back 11...where does that one come from. Everyone fighting to get out of debt with not enough money to pay it...what a system.  Maybe we can do something different in the future.

The negative interest rates are an interesting twist to all this though.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 698

Currently Online:
26 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

easytapper: 2149

DangerDuke: 2030

groinkick: 1667

PorkChopsMmm: 1515

Gravel Road: 1455