Insurers want to hike Obamacare premiums 10% for 2017 | Page 2 | The Compost Bin | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed F-Compost-Bin
Insurers want to hike Obamacare premiums 10% for 2017
DangerDuke
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 2030
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
25 Jun ’16 - 11:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

easytapper said

I thought that most opponents for the ACA thought that a single payer system is what was needed.  

Most PROGRESSIVE opponents maybe. I honestly don't know of anyone who doesn't qualify for subsidized insurance through the ACA who's in any way ok with it. When asked about single payer, they're all fine and good... until you tell them their taxes are going to go up.

Me, I'm just over here like "All of this is unconstitutional..."

easytapper
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 2149
26 Jun ’16 - 12:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

DangerDuke said

Most PROGRESSIVE opponents maybe. I honestly don't know of anyone who doesn't qualify for subsidized insurance through the ACA who's in any way ok with it. When asked about single payer, they're all fine and good... until you tell them their taxes are going to go up.

Me, I'm just over here like "All of this is unconstitutional..."  

I think I used the wrong word when I said opponents.  I meant critics.  I've been against it from the beginning.  I do feel we need healthcare reform, but felt the ACA was way more than we needed.  Tort reform and some changes to medicare to make room for kids, and some pre-existing conditions would have been way better.

DangerDuke
Rancher
Members
26 Jun ’16 - 1:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

easytapper said

I think I used the wrong word when I said opponents.  I meant critics.  I've been against it from the beginning.  I do feel we need healthcare reform, but felt the ACA was way more than we needed.  Tort reform and some changes to medicare to make room for kids, and some pre-existing conditions would have been way better.  

I agree healthcare is totally messed up. The biggest problem in my eyes is insurance period. I had a doctors appointment a few months ago and when I asked him how he's doing, the first thing he said to me was "the golden age of medicine is over". I asked him what he meant and he explained that doctors can no longer treat their patients the way they feel would be best for their health, but instead are forced to provide treatments that will be approved by the insurance company. I asked him what was it like during "the golden age of medicine", and he said people basically paid cash. The poor and the destitute were provided for by charities (the catholic church was HUGE in this regard) and healthcare was affordable, high quality and widely available.

I think the best thing that we could do is make a return to this kind of system. Most things we would pay cash for. Businesses that specialized in certain services (x-rays, mri's, stitches, physicals etc.) would pop up and compete with each other. This would further lower prices and higher quality service through competition. Not to mention, who better to stitch you up then a guy who literally only does stitches. insurance would be something your parents purchase or you when you are very young, which would cover catastrophic injury and illness, like cancer, or treatment for a major auto accident, those sorts of things. because the policy is strictly for catastrophic events, the premiums would be low, the coverage would be good, and the product would be a much safer investment for the companies, as they will most likely simply sit back and collect premiums over the course of your entire life. 

K
Admin
Forum Posts: 31782
27 Jun ’16 - 7:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I wouldn't be surprised with a single payer system within the next 5 years

DangerDuke
Rancher
Members
27 Jun ’16 - 7:24 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I hope not. It's a disaster everywhere they have it. Don't believe the hype. You can't eliminate the cost of providing healthcare. If cost isn't the barrier to bottleneck treatment, which is what we have now, they will have to turn to bureaucracy and red tape. People in Canada, arguably the best of the best in terms of single payer, die all the time waiting for treatment. Of course that doesn't fit the narrative so you won't hear about it.

You want a good example of what single payer would look like, just check out medicare or the VA. Both single payer systems here in the US right now.

K
Admin
29 Jun ’16 - 8:45 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

well, got a letter yesterday that they are looking for a 17-24 percent increase up here, we will be paying over 1100 dollars a month if that happens. I don't know what I will do.

DangerDuke
Rancher
Members
30 Jun ’16 - 3:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

you might want to look into health sharing, at least for you and your wife.

https://myahe.org/health-excellence-select

K
Admin
1 Jul ’16 - 9:12 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

thanks, I'll have to check that out

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 698

Currently Online:
17 Guest(s)