One day someone asked me how much space you would need to plant a whole Mypatriotsupply seed vault using the square foot gardening method. It was an interesting question and one I had never really thought of before. Well one day at work I was really bored so I decided that I might as well figure it out. You can see the results below.
Variety of Seeds included:
- Blue Lake Bush Bean, Over 150 seeds, 9 per sq/ft, 17 sq/ft needed
- California Wonder Bell Pepper, Over 70 seeds, 1 per sq/ft, 70 sq/ft needed
- Scarlet Nantes Carrot, Over 800 seeds, 16 per sq/ft, 50 sq/ft needed
- Marketmore Cucumber, Over 150 seeds, 2 per sq/ft, 75 sq/ft needed
- Parris Island Cos Romaine Lettuce, Over 900 seeds, 9 per sq/ft, 100 sq/ft needed
- Golden Acre Cabbage, Over 530 seeds, 1 per sq/ft, 530 sq/ft needed
- Detroit Dark Red Beet, Over 260 seeds, 9 per sq/ft, 29 sq/ft needed
- Lincoln Shell Sweet Pea, Over 100 seeds, 8 per sq/ft, 13 sq/ft needed
- Lucullus Swiss Chard, Over 160 seeds, 4 per sq/ft, 40 sq/ft needed
- Beefsteak Tomato, Over 180 seeds, 1 per sq/ft, 180 sq/ft needed
- Champion Radish, Over 320 seeds, 16 per sq/ft, 20 sq/ft needed
- Green Sprouting Broccoli, Over 500 seeds, 1 per sq/ft, 500 sq/ft needed
- Waltham Butternut Winter Squash, Over 100 seeds, 1 per 9 sq/ft, 900 sq/ft needed
- Bloomsdale Long Standing Spinach, Over 260 seeds, 9 per 1 sq/ft, 29 sq/ft needed
- Yellow Sweet Spanish Onion, Over 145 seeds, 16 per sq/ft, 9 sq/ft needed
- Golden Bantam Sweet Corn, Over 250 seeds, 4 per sq/ft, 63 sq/ft needed
- Hales Best Cantaloupe, Over 70 seeds, 1 per 9 sq/ft, 630 sq/ft needed
- Snowball Cauliflower, Over 285 seeds, 1 per sq/ft, 285 sq/ft needed
- Black Beauty Zucchini, Over 50 seeds, 1 per 4 sq/ft, 200 sq/ft needed
- Crimson Sweet Watermelon. Over 60 seeds, 1 per 9 sq/ft, 540 sq/ft needed
Space Required Calculations
- A total of 4280 sq feet of raised beds.
- If you used 4x16ft raised beds you would need 67 raised beds.
- If you laid them out 8 beds wide with a 2 foot spacing between them and 9 beds deep with a 2 foot spacing between the ends of the beds; you would need an area that is 50x160ft. Which is 8000 square feet of land.
- There is 43560 sq/ft in an acre, so you need .18 of an acre to plant a whole seed vault.
Now this is obviously planting each seed, if you double planted like Mel recommends and snipped the weaker plant you would be under 1/10th a acre. That’s a lot of food for $35, I think it’s time to make the garden bigger.
Mypatriotsupply seed vault is a premium heirloom survival seed supplier located in the United States. We are a group of folks with a passion for self-reliance and freedom, and love sharing that with our customers. The Survival Seed Vault contains only the highest quality heirloom vegetable survival seeds. These Patriot Seeds are 100% Non-GMO, open-pollinated and placed in specially sealed packets allowing for long term storage.