and the count down begins | Animals | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed F-Animals
and the count down begins
K
Admin
Forum Posts: 31782
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
12 Oct ’12 - 9:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

t minus 3 days and counting, I'm gonna miss those little buggers

8079719103_6249b349fc_c.jpg

B17
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 1387
12 Oct ’12 - 10:00 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It looks like next year we will be able to have pigs again. The guy we used to process them had some issues and no one seemed to be really motivated to find someone else. But, he is back up and running!

K
Admin
12 Oct ’12 - 10:02 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

you guys didn't get pigs this year? I didn't know that, you guys usually have like 6 or 8 don't you?

K
Admin
17 Oct ’12 - 10:35 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So yesterday started out as a rainy day, great way to start the morning off. We had to get the pigs to the processor by 8:30 a.m. My buddy was suppose to pick up the trailer at a friends and be at my house by 7:00 a.m.

He called at 7:45 and said he was running behind, but he would be right here. About 10 minutes later he pulled up with the trailer

8096890506_bf504d4ec6_c.jpg

We backed it down to the barn and I went down and called the pigs, they knew something was up.

8096883909_4f1ee7eeff_c.jpg

I turned off the electric fence and cut the tape and tied it off to the downspout on the barn to create a run to take them up to the trailer

8096891297_989ba8b9e7_c.jpg

pig pig and sue sue came up to check it out

8096885081_8a4ea8457a_c.jpg

We spent the next hour and a half trying to coax them out of their penned in area but they were having none of it. I tried getting them out with doughnuts, bread etc. Nothing worked. I got behind them with a 8 foot gate and tried herding them up but they just broke and ran round me. By this time I was getting frustrated, it wasn't going quite as easy as last year.

I got on the phone and called the butcher to let him know we were having some issues and asked him what the latest we could drop them of at. He said any time would be fine and asked what was the issue? I told him what was going on, he said well you been training them to stay inside the fence their whole life, good luck getting them out.

My wife came down to try her hand t getting them out, she usually went down every morning and gave them a doughnut or some bread. They came up to her to get their backs scratched and that was as far as they were moving.

I realized I hadn't given them any chicken in a while so I figured I would try that, I ran up to the restaurant and grabbed some diced up chicken we use and ran back down and handed it to my wife. She walked over and started feeding them some and they were slowly coming out of their area. I asked my wife if she wanted some more, yes she replied. So I ran back up and grabbed some more and when I got back down to the barn there was my wife smiling with 2 pigs at her feet behind the trailer.

*note to self, use chicken next year*

my wife hopped up into the trailer and started setting some on the ground

8096886273_21f826a432_c.jpg

Sue Sue got right in there

8096887455_810a9e7995_c.jpg

My wife put some more down

8096888579_908b09a2d1_c.jpg

and Pig Pig climbed up in

8096897556_0c07a19f8f_c.jpg

we quickly closed the trailer gate and headed off to the butchers

8096892259_70c5b8599c_c.jpg

when we got there we unloaded them and got them in their holding pen. We used a different butcher this year, I wasn't happy with the way the animals were treated when we unloaded them last year. This new butcher was very gentle with them and treated them with the respect they deserve.

As a funny side note we were standing there talking to the butcher and he asked who was getting what animal, I said I was getting the male and he was getting the female. He looked at me and asked name?

Pig Pig.

Huh?

Pig Pig.

Pig Pig what?

You asked for his name, his name is Pig Pig.

Uh no, I need your name for the cutting form, not the pigs.

Oh, I thought my friend was going to pee himself.

So I got home and went down to the pen and poured a 40 oz out for my homies, my wife kept asking me if I was alright, yeah I'm fine I replied.

Some people thinks it's amusing I get depressed when I send a animal to slaughter. Personally I try not to get too emotionally attached, but anyone that can take a animal from 8 weeks old and raise them and not feel any emotion has lost a little bit of their humanity.

B17
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 1387
17 Oct ’12 - 8:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thats hilarious. Good move on finding a new butcher.

Naderhood
Farm Hand
Members
Forum Posts: 343
17 Oct ’12 - 8:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ha! I'm the same way. I talk a tough game but I'd never be able to slaughter an animal I raised.

simthefarmer
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 1072
18 Oct ’12 - 7:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

yeah must be very different to slaughter an animal that you've raised compared to hunting.

K
Admin
14 Nov ’12 - 4:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print
Quote:
Quote from simthefarmer on October 18, 2012, 07:50

yeah must be very different to slaughter an animal that you've raised compared to hunting.

very much so

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 698

Currently Online:
17 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

easytapper: 2149

DangerDuke: 2030

groinkick: 1667

PorkChopsMmm: 1515