4000 dollar 14x20 Cabin | Construction and DIY projects | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed F-Construction-and-DIY
4000 dollar 14x20 Cabin
K
Admin
Forum Posts: 31782
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
17 Mar ’12 - 12:22 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I think the 4000 dollars is a little low. The article is from 2006 and materials have gone up since then as has everything else, but it is a good article on building a small cabin

CABIN-A-new-copy.jpg

Anyone with basic carpentry skills can construct this classic one-room cabin for under $4,000.

Rays of early-morning sunlight gently peek through the windows, easing you awake. Looking down from the sleeping loft, you see everything you need: a pine table; a box piled with hardwood, split and ready for the woodstove; and a compact kitchen in the corner. This is the cabin dream.

In this article, I’ll show you how to build a 14-by-20-foot cabin featuring a sleeping loft over the porch for about $4,000. Who can resist it?

My own cabin adventure began in 1986, when I built one as an inexpensive place to stay while constructing my house — that’s when I began learning what makes cabin design and construction successful. (I’ve always had a debt-free approach to developing my property.) The four years I lived in this cabin were a good time in my life — perhaps one of the best. I fondly recall the simplicity of waking each morning with the sole purpose of building my own house, working well into the evening.

What follows is a cabin plan with the hands-on know-how I wish I had 20 years ago. It won’t replace the need for basic carpentry skills, but it will alert you to the main challenges of framing a cabin and how to clear the most important hurdles. And even if you never build a cabin of your own, these basic instructions will be useful anytime you need to build a garage, shed or other outbuilding. (For more on the author’s cabin experience, see “Our Life in a One-room Cabin,” below.)

http://www.motherear.....Cabin.aspx

QcDdog03
Green Horn
Members
Forum Posts: 62
17 Mar ’12 - 9:53 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

looks sweet

B17
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 1387
17 Mar ’12 - 11:20 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That is awesome. I will check this out when I get home tonight.

bvr68
Farm Hand
Members
Forum Posts: 280
17 Mar ’12 - 8:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

just bought a book from lowes. simple living in 1000 sq ft or less, compact cabins by gerald rowan

farmboy2
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 1243
17 Mar ’12 - 8:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I built a shed that's 10' wide by 24' long. I think total cost was $2400. I use it to store tools for my company. Also has another room built in that I use for house storage, xmas trees, etc. Works out great.

(there was a cement foundation already in place. Costs would be more if I had to build a foundation.)

I literally built the entire thing myself. It was pretty easy. If you put insulation in it and drywall, I could see it being a nice cabin retreat. So anyone looking to try it, don't be afraid.

Bankable
Green Horn
Members
Forum Posts: 11
23 Mar ’12 - 11:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

great information

Naderhood
Farm Hand
Members
Forum Posts: 343