20,000 to practice readiness for Northwest megaquake | Emergency Preparedness | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed F-Emergency-Preparedness
20,000 to practice readiness for Northwest megaquake
K
Admin
Forum Posts: 31782
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4 Jun ’16 - 10:36 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Anyone involved with this?

PORTLAND — Imagine a devastating earthquake and tsunami have cut off Pacific Northwest coastal communities. Phone and internet service have collapsed. Ham-radio operators living on the stricken coast fire up their radios, contact emergency managers and report on the magnitude of the disaster so that no time is wasted in saving lives.

This is the kind of scenario that will be rehearsed during the second week of June in a massive earthquake and tsunami readiness drill that has been developed by the U.S. government, the military, and state and local emergency managers over the past few years to test their readiness for what — when it strikes — will likely be the nation’s worst natural calamity.

The June 7-10 exercise is called Cascadia Rising. It is named after the Cascadia Subduction Zone — a 600-mile-long fault just off the coast that runs from Northern California to British Columbia.

“This is the largest exercise ever for a Cascadia break,” said Lt. Col. Clayton Braun of the Washington State National Guard. Braun has been a key planner of the doomsday drill, which is being overseen by the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

more http://www.seattleti.....e-tsunami/

M1chelle
Green Horn
Members
Forum Posts: 6
6 Jun ’16 - 12:28 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

First I've heard of it. I don't know why they've been ramping up the tsunami stuff around here the last 10 years or so, but honestly, I haven't known oneto hit in the past 30 years that I've lived here.

K
Admin
6 Jun ’16 - 9:19 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Does seem to be a lot of talk about it the last couple years, I was surprised that the largest earthquake in the US was in the PNW, I always thought it was the New Madrid.

M1chelle
Green Horn
Members
6 Jun ’16 - 4:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah, earthquakes are not common here either. Makes ya wonder...

K
Admin
7 Jun ’16 - 7:39 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Do you have building codes for earthquakes like california?

M1chelle
Green Horn
Members
7 Jun ’16 - 11:26 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

No, well ... never did before, but there are buildings like hotels and hospitals that are spending huge amounts to retrofit quake foundations, walls, etc. Thats started in the last 10 yrs. as well.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 698

Currently Online:
23 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

easytapper: 2149

DangerDuke: 2030

groinkick: 1667

PorkChopsMmm: 1515

Gravel Road: 1455