The Buy Nothing Year: How Two Roommates Saved More Than $55,000 | General Homesteading Discussion | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed F-General-Homesteading
The Buy Nothing Year: How Two Roommates Saved More Than $55,000
K
Admin
Forum Posts: 31782
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
22 Aug ’14 - 10:13 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

interesting

A little over a year ago, Geoffrey Szuszkiewicz, a 31-year-old accountant in Calgary, began analyzing his monthly spending. What he saw, he says, was eye-opening: “I was spending so much every month, no matter how much I made it never seemed like I was getting ahead. It was typical lifestyle creep.”

Around the same time, his good friend Julie Phillips, 29, a communications advisor at the University of Calgary, was about to move into a new apartment when it fell through. “Geoff said, ‘You can move in with me, but I only have a bedroom for you to rent,’” she says. “The rest was packed with his stuff. So I got rid of over 80% of my stuff within three days.” (She was thinking she might move in a year and if so, she’d have to get rid of many of her belongings then.) But then she had a meltdown. “I was like, ‘Oh my god. What did I do?’ And then I was like, ‘Why do I need things anyway?’”

Over their first bottle of wine as roommates, they questioned their need for the objects that had drained their bank accounts, and, on a whim, decided to spend a year not buying anything. The domain name and Twitter handle for the obvious designation, Buy Nothing Year, were available. Julie recalls, “I said to this guy, ‘I can’t believe the name was available,’ and he said, ‘I can! You guys are crazy! Who would do that?’”

Within a week, they became a national news sensation. They suddenly realized that with the country watching, they had to follow through.

They spent the first three months (August through October) phasing out all consumer items, such as household objects, electronics and clothes. Then, they cut out all services, including dining out, salon haircuts, and gas and instead began hosting lots of dinner parties — and biking or walking everywhere, even during Calgary’s long, cold winter. (For his 35-minute walk to work, Geoff would don long johns, winter boots, scarf, mittens and a hat. Though he was already fit when the year began, he lost an additional 10 pounds. When he had to go especially far, he took the bus.) They made their own laundry detergent and surface cleaners, but made a concession for store-bought dish soap, since the homemade version left a gross film on their dishes.

During the last phase, meant to start this July, they intended to stop buying food and grow their own with their aquaponics system and garden, but couldn’t produce enough to feed themselves. (Harvesting season begins in August, and their project ended August 3.) By then, Geoffrey says, “Buy Nothing Year had already accomplished a lot of what we wanted to accomplish, which was to live this downshifted lifestyle.”

They had also saved a lot of money: Geoffrey amassed $42,300 (46,000 CAD) and Julie set aside $13,800 (15,000 CAD). (Julie’s explanation as to why Geoffrey squirreled away so much more: “As much as Geoff saved, I don’t make per year.”) Here’s how they achieved their feat, how the project changed their lives and what habits they’ll retain. Plus, the slide show contains their top tips on having a Buy Nothing Year of your own.

more here

http://www.forbes.co.....han-55000/

spotted-horses
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 1272
26 Aug ’14 - 11:29 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Interesting.

I'm kind of a buy nothing person. There just isn't anything I really need or want these days. 

Be RADICAL Grow Food

easytapper
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 2149
26 Aug ’14 - 5:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

spotted-horses said
Interesting.

I'm kind of a buy nothing person. There just isn't anything I really need or want these days. 

I don't know you, but you probably buy more than you realize.  I think these people weren't buying ANYTHING.  To the point that they were having "dinner parties" so other people would feed them.  It's cool, but not sure how practical it would be.

K
Admin
27 Aug ’14 - 9:39 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

yeah, they pretty much did nothing for a year, wonder if I can talk my wife into that

spotted-horses
Rancher
Members
30 Aug ’14 - 9:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

easytapper said

spotted-horses said
Interesting.

I don't know you, but you probably buy more than you realize.  I think these people weren't buying ANYTHING.  To the point that they were having "dinner parties" so other people would feed them.  It's cool, but not sure how practical it would be.

Here is a list of what I buy.

gas. My major expense as I drive over half the state to work.

motor oil. My car burns it.

phone service, electric.

dog, cat and horse food. I'll be buying hay this year.

ill be buying wood this year as well.

onions, potatoes as needed depending on how my crops do. 

Olive oil, butter

toilet paper.

occaisional beer and wine.

brandy, mostly used for herbal extracts.

sometime duck tape, super glue. Trash bags, but I only make about one bag a month.

netflix, and satellite radio. 

Potato chips. I really like potato chips especially when I have to work out ing the heat. 

There might be a few things that I have forgotten, but thIs is an honest list of what I buy.

it isn't something I made a conscious decision to do. It has just evolved. 

I have such a rich life that I just don't need much stuff. 

And I really hate to shop!

Be RADICAL Grow Food

spotted-horses
Rancher
Members
30 Aug ’14 - 9:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh and car insurance

Be RADICAL Grow Food

spotted-horses
Rancher
Members
30 Aug ’14 - 9:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

spotted-horses said
Oh and car insurance

And black tea. I like a nice cup of tea in the morning.

i will probably think of some other things but I'm pressed at the moment.

Be RADICAL Grow Food

K
Admin
31 Aug ’14 - 10:37 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

if buying potato chips are wrong, I don't want to be right! Sweet potato chips are my downfall :(

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 698

Currently Online:
37 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

easytapper: 2149

DangerDuke: 2030

groinkick: 1667

PorkChopsMmm: 1515

Gravel Road: 1455