Antiques Roadshow Mistakenly Values High School Art Project at $50,000 | The Compost Bin | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed F-Compost-Bin
Antiques Roadshow Mistakenly Values High School Art Project at $50,000
K
Admin
Forum Posts: 31782
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
16 May ’16 - 8:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I always wondered how real some of those prices are on there

Recently on an episode of Antiques Roadshow, an art appraisal went very wrong. An Oregon man who presented a clay jug to one of the program’s apparent expert appraisers received word that it dated to the late 19th century, had emerged somewhere in the “Middle Atlantic states headed southward,” and had a value of up to $50,000. However, it turned out to be the creation of fellow Oregonian Betsy Soule, sculpted in her high school ceramics class in the 1970s.

Owner Alvin Barr had bought the pot, decorated with six beast-like faces, at an estate sale in a barn in Eugene, Oregon, for $300. He was naturally short of breath when Antiques Roadshow‘s bespectacled expert appraiser Stephen L. Fletcher(specializing in clocks, decorative arts, folk art, and furniture) revealed its alleged market value.

more http://hyperallergic.....-at-50000/

earthenstead
Central Arkansas
Farm Hand
Members
Forum Posts: 853
21 May ’16 - 3:43 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ah, nothing like a single story to affirm our confirmation bias against the appraisals on that show.

I had a girlfriend once that loved the show. I never got the appeal.

easytapper
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 2149
21 May ’16 - 3:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

earthenstead said

I had a girlfriend once that loved the show. I never got the appeal.  

Really?  It's interesting to say the least.  And it has spawned a whole genre.  Pawn Stars, Comic Book Men, and a whole host of shows I'm either forgetting or just unaware of follow a pretty similar format.  Hell, even Storage Wars (and that whole genre) are really just a glorified rip off of Antiques Road Show.

earthenstead
Central Arkansas
Farm Hand
Members
Forum Posts: 853
21 May ’16 - 5:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

If they're wanting to teach history, just do so. I hate all the pandering to a degrading assumption that everyone has an attention span of 5 seconds. Give me good 'ol educational tv format like the History channel before they went to all reality shows and no history, or Nova which is 42 years old! They're clearly doing it right. We need clones of Nova, not more "look at the shit I found in my attic".

Sorry, seems I've even more contempt here than I realized.

K
Admin
Forum Posts: 31782
22 May ’16 - 8:56 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

easytapper said

Really?  It's interesting to say the least.  And it has spawned a whole genre.  Pawn Stars, Comic Book Men, and a whole host of shows I'm either forgetting or just unaware of follow a pretty similar format.  Hell, even Storage Wars (and that whole genre) are really just a glorified rip off of Antiques Road Show.  

I love American Pickers

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 698

Currently Online:
12 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

easytapper: 2149

DangerDuke: 2030

groinkick: 1667

PorkChopsMmm: 1515