Cord cutting accelerates as 150,000 cancel TV service | Page 2 | The Compost Bin | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed F-Compost-Bin
Cord cutting accelerates as 150,000 cancel TV service
K
Admin
Forum Posts: 31782
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
29 Nov ’14 - 5:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

my totally adult and rational response would have been

Hessian
Farm Hand
Members
Forum Posts: 639
10 Dec ’14 - 12:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I watch everything online. TV, PPVs etc.

We have been talking about cancelling our TV. Our monthly bill is 160 or so US, for TV and Internet. Now that my daughter is online even she seldom watches TV.

We called Tigo (our carrier) just last week lack of service and such. They said they would drop our bill by $50 a month and send someone with the new modem we have been waiting a year to receive. They never showed up of course.

Thing is we went from around 20 English channels to around 6, So unless I want to watch people cook or complain there is not much to watch.

K
Admin
10 Dec ’14 - 7:39 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

wow, I'm really surprised it is that much down there

easytapper
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 2149
10 Dec ’14 - 8:22 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My hand may have been forced to cut the cord.  My cable bill went from $188 a month (insane, I know) to $255.  I'm calling today and depending how that goes, I may be cable free tonight.  It just sucks that we "need" internet access.   No one's truly cutting the cable if you're still paying for internet access.  Also, don't think the kids will understand, especially my 6 yo daughter with special needs.  But I need to do something.  Cable is now my most expensive bill (more than Gas & Electric, and more than cell phones for me and my wife)

Hessian
Farm Hand
Members
Forum Posts: 639
10 Dec ’14 - 8:28 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

As someone who knows about operating costs of a TV station and to a degree about carrier costs ... we are being milked for every dime to make up for people quitting TV.

Actual cost of a carrier outside of in-home infrastructure to deliver you services is on average around the World $2.36 a month. It is only going to get worse as we move from 6 main players to 3 in the next couple of years.

K
Admin
10 Dec ’14 - 9:29 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

easytapper said
My hand may have been forced to cut the cord.  My cable bill went from $188 a month (insane, I know) to $255.  I'm calling today and depending how that goes, I may be cable free tonight.  It just sucks that we "need" internet access.   No one's truly cutting the cable if you're still paying for internet access.  Also, don't think the kids will understand, especially my 6 yo daughter with special needs.  But I need to do something.  Cable is now my most expensive bill (more than Gas & Electric, and more than cell phones for me and my wife)

who do you have for cell service? Verizon is 79.99 for tv, internet and phone if it is available in your area

K
Admin
10 Dec ’14 - 9:29 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Hessian said
As someone who knows about operating costs of a TV station and to a degree about carrier costs ... we are being milked for every dime to make up for people quitting TV.
Actual cost of a carrier outside of in-home infrastructure to deliver you services is on average around the World $2.36 a month. It is only going to get worse as we move from 6 main players to 3 in the next couple of years.

2.36 total cost? that's pretty crazy

easytapper
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 2149
10 Dec ’14 - 9:51 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

KVR said

easytapper said

who do you have for cell service? Verizon is 79.99 for tv, internet and phone if it is available in your area

We have AT&T for cell, but are locked in due to contract (and credit issues).

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 698

Currently Online:
25 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

easytapper: 2149

DangerDuke: 2030

groinkick: 1667

PorkChopsMmm: 1515

Gravel Road: 1455