Fishing in the City 4/28/12 | The Woodsman Hut | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed F-The-Woodsmen
Fishing in the City 4/28/12
B17
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 1387
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
28 Apr ’12 - 1:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not the best day to hit the water but I am a determined fisherman. I scoff in the face of mother nature. Its about 46 degrees today with wind and rain.

Took off to Lake Nokomis and fished from shore a bit. I bought some new Panther Martin spinners and got nothing. Back when I bought my fly rod I also bought several Clouser minnows, many were too big for my set up, so Ive always wanted to try them on a spinning rod. It worked!

I just cast it out there and let it drop, reel fast, let it drop, over and over hoping it would simulate how you would fish it with a fly rod.

Ended up with about a half dozen Largemouths over the course of an hour or two.

Here is the set up I used:

IMG00333-20120428-1148.jpg

This one was probably about 2-2.5 pounds and fought nicely:

IMG00332-20120428-1143.jpg

This was the first one I snagged with the Clouser. Smaller but fun to catch.

IMG00331-20120428-1121.jpg

I would have taken more pics but the rain was getting all over my phone when I took it out, so I had to limit myself.

K
Admin
Forum Posts: 31782
28 Apr ’12 - 1:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

is that a dead body floating in the river?

B17
Rancher
Members
28 Apr ’12 - 1:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ha! Would not surprise me!

Its a decent little neighborhood over there. Lots of runners and dog walkers. Go a little north of there and gets sketchy in spots though.

B17
Rancher
Members
28 Apr ’12 - 10:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So I went back to the lake today and as I came around the corner under the same bridge I see to guys already there fishing. I think, its ok there is a lot of room. As I turn the corner I ask how the fishing is. They speak no english. They also have a pretty decent fire going under this bridge. My spider senses are going off at this point. This aint right. I take stock of the situation. These two guys are heavily tattooed and just look out of place.

So I make a thumbs up and say "fish?". The guy smiles. I cast a few times and he then motions me over. In a netted laundry bag he has about a 48" long, 10-15 pound Musky. Not only are we 3 months out of season on them but this one is too small to be a trophy and these two jokers arent sportsmen.

I walk away and keep fishing a bit. I then decide to call the DNR. These guys are on a public lake, under a bridge, lighting fires and keeping vital and rare, hard to catch fish that should be released to spawn and thus contribute to the ecosystem of the lake.

DNR goes out and they were already gone. Im sure they knew exactly what they were doing and that it was wrong. When they showed me the fish I looked at him with a real mean stare. I couldnt believe they had this thing in a net.

So as I type this, these fuckers are probably eating a 15lb Musky and the lake as well as the fisherman pay the price.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 698

Currently Online:
18 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

easytapper: 2149

DangerDuke: 2030

groinkick: 1667

PorkChopsMmm: 1515

Gravel Road: 1455