Starting our earth sheltered cabin | Construction and DIY projects | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed F-Construction-and-DIY
Starting our earth sheltered cabin
K
Admin
Forum Posts: 31782
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
30 Jan ’13 - 10:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

wow, I am kind of having a flash back here, can't believe it's been 4 years since we built our house. This will be the thread where I document the building of our new place. There won't be much being posted over the next couple months. But I did hear from the lawyer that we are closing tomorrow on the new property. So since I got the go pro 3 Hero to document the process and finally figured out how to upgrade the firmware today, I decided to do a test run today and do a video tour of the property

http://youtu.be/7m05N_go2o0

http://youtu.be/H1OGJIOf38Y

http://youtu.be/KS0Uk-OBsMQ

I mention several times in the vid about leaning towards cordwood, well on the drive back I happened to notice a stack of what looked like cedar telephone poles laying next to a dairy barn. I stopped and asked the farmer where he got them from and if he knew if there was a local source. He said there wasn't but he would be willing to sell them to me for 40 dollars a pole, sweet!

8430079487_f484f6c030_z.jpg

then Rinkus informed there is still a local source and he has the contact number for the contractor who removed the poles and he still might have some, which the farmer had gotten for free, even better!

That was really the only thing that was causing me to lean away from cordwood, source of cedar telephone poles. The bottom several feet are treated and these poles look like that has already been cut off leaving well seasoned and dry cedar, which is a ideal product to use for cordwood. You end up with a very consistent looking wall, as can be seen here in these examples

cottage_shockey7.jpg

cordwood010asmlx.jpg

not sure if I want to do a true round or a post and beam with infill

exterior.jpg

either way with a source of dry poles, I don't need to season green wood for a year, so we can actually build this summer

bad_astronaut
Farm Hand
Members
Forum Posts: 222
31 Jan ’13 - 6:16 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'd donate a week of labor if I could figure out how to convince my wife to let me go to Maine.

K
Admin
31 Jan ’13 - 8:55 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

lol thanks BA, I appreciate the thought!

Kamikaze-Emu
Farm Hand
Members
Forum Posts: 601
31 Jan ’13 - 11:47 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am going to be perfectly honest here, I am pretty excited about this as well. If it turns out anything like your home construction thread it should be awesome.

Is this place going to be your new permanent residence?

K
Admin
31 Jan ’13 - 11:51 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

not really sure at this point KE, hopefully at some point in the future, for right now probably just a hunting cabin/weekend getaway type deal

K
Admin
1 Feb ’13 - 9:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

what do you guys think about this log end floor

log-end-floor-3.jpg

K
Admin
1 Feb ’13 - 9:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print
Speedfunk
Farm Hand
Members
Forum Posts: 162
6 Feb ’13 - 6:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You said it in ur video..cabin fever setting in...I need a retreat (with heat). Nice land..with a mini digger you could have a nice series of water features(ponds etc) and that would give u fill to create dry high spots. Someone i know self built a cozy round cordwood home, pretty cool looking . A nice earth covered roof too. congrats

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 698

Currently Online:
43 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

easytapper: 2149

DangerDuke: 2030

groinkick: 1667

PorkChopsMmm: 1515

Gravel Road: 1455