Goals for 2015? | General Homesteading Discussion | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed F-General-Homesteading
Goals for 2015?
K
Admin
Forum Posts: 31782
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
28 Dec ’14 - 1:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hopefully after my accountant get's done with me, we have some money left over to get started on the cabin; newsettler told me about a guy that comes in often who has rough cut lumber pretty cheap, so I got to give him a call.

Have a few more projects around the house I didn't get to last year, because the yard took so long, so outdoor cook area and greenhouse is top prority, what do you have planned?

jonathco
Michigan
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 1102
28 Dec ’14 - 6:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Once we get into the new place, I have a few plans for spring:

1. I need to build a chicken tractor and get some birds going.
  2. Since there are no gardens, I need to get the moldboard plow on the garden tractor and start turning up sod for 2015 vegetables as well as probably do some fencing to keep the deer out.
  3. I want to build a better compost bin setup at the new place. At the last house, I built a 9', 3 bin compost bin out of pressure treated 2x4 and chicken wire; at the new house I want to do something cement (like the one shown below).

farmboy2
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 1243
28 Dec ’14 - 6:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

1. we want to enclose the back patio and make a music room for myself and the boys to goof off, playing music.

2. I'm thinking about getting a 2nd job so we can save more money and get the property we're looking for faster.

3. stay in shape. Try not to fall into any bad eating habits.

Kamikaze-Emu
Farm Hand
Members
Forum Posts: 601
28 Dec ’14 - 6:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

1.  Finish another 1/3 of our basement, and revamp the laundry area.  Started work on that today actually.

2.  Take up our walkway that runs from the sidewalk to the house and back fill it with soil for lawn/future garden space. 

3.  Build a solitary/native bee condo and put it up in the front of the house near the garden.  I have a nice piece of douglas fir (I think) that will do the trick.

4.  Look for land!

5.  Take on a few side jobs so I can afford said land if we find it.

Looks like another good year!

K
Admin
29 Dec ’14 - 7:19 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

jonathco said
Once we get into the new place, I have a few plans for spring:

I've been thinking of a design like that as well, something I can fit the case into to aerate and move the piles

leroyj
Green Horn
Members
Forum Posts: 74
29 Dec ’14 - 10:24 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just had a baby daughter, so #1 goal is to get her through the year alive.  My dad is buying 10 acres and building a house this year, and my brother in law is about 50% done with his.  I think I'll be doing a lot of helping the family and hoping I have time for the garden.  Otherwise, we're saving for our "heritage property" and trying to be frugal.

However, I will finally configure my network for wireless printing before winter ends.

K
Admin
29 Dec ’14 - 10:27 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

congrats on the baby! It's a life changer for sure.

groinkick
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 1667
29 Dec ’14 - 11:11 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

well, I recently got rid of my old plastic sheeting/cattle panel green house and for Christmas, Santa let me order a new one with the poly panels.  Hopefully  this will hold heat a little better than the old one.  So I'm going to level out the pavers and put the new greenhouse up as we get closer to spring.

Im going to start a bunch of seaberry from seed and see how that works out.  If they grow, I'll have extra if anyone's interested in seaberry!

I'll get to work on building the "chicken moat" that I designed and re-fencing the permaculture orchard area.

I'm also planning on learning grafting and other tree and plant propagation techniques.

KE are you getting into beekeeping?

Leroyj, congrats on the baby daughter!

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 698

Currently Online:
25 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

easytapper: 2149

DangerDuke: 2030

groinkick: 1667