Goals for 2015? | Page 2 | General Homesteading Discussion | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed F-General-Homesteading
Goals for 2015?
Kamikaze-Emu
Farm Hand
Members
Forum Posts: 601
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
29 Dec ’14 - 7:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

No beekeeping, maybe when we have land.  I just see the little guys/girls around in the garden all summer pollinating away so I figure might as well encourage them as much as possible.  Got the wood from scrap at work and while it is not huge I think I could setup a dozen or so holes for the natives to live in. 

Something like this.

K
Admin
Forum Posts: 31782
30 Dec ’14 - 10:40 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

that look simple enough, I like it

spotted-horses
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 1272
1 Jan ’15 - 10:34 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

groinkick said
well, I recently got rid of my old plastic sheeting/cattle panel green house and for Christmas, Santa let me order a new one with the poly panels.  Hopefully  this will hold heat a little better than the old one.  So I'm going to level out the pavers and put the new greenhouse up as we get closer to spring.

Im going to start a bunch of seaberry from seed and see how that works out.  If they grow, I'll have extra if anyone's interested in seaberry!

I'll get to work on building the "chicken moat" that I designed and re-fencing the permaculture orchard area.

I'm also planning on learning grafting and other tree and plant propagation techniques.

KE are you getting into beekeeping?

Leroyj, congrats on the baby daughter!

I'd love to try some seaberry here

Be RADICAL Grow Food

spotted-horses
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 1272
1 Jan ’15 - 10:39 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'd like to build a nice big chicken run around my coop, get my tractor repaired so I can brush hog. I want to spend more time foraging

But I'm hesitant to make too many plans right now. Mostly I just want to recover from this stupid accident.

Be RADICAL Grow Food

K
Admin
1 Jan ’15 - 10:56 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

wait, groin got a new greenhouse? I totally missed that, you put it up yet?

groinkick
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 1667
2 Jan ’15 - 8:03 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The new greenhouse should get here on Monday.  I wont put it up for a couple of months though, there's still some work to do on the ground where it's going to sit.

I repurposed the cattle panels from the old one as a trellis for the grapes I put in this fall and I used the wood from it to build a door to the kiwi trellis area. (I used to just peel the fencing back to get in there.)

Spotted, if I can get them to grow, I'd happily send you a few seaberry plants!  Im going to start the seeds in 2 weeks.  I'll keep you updated!

K
Admin
2 Jan ’15 - 1:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

where did you get it?

groinkick
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 1667
9 Jan ’15 - 10:02 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I actually ordered it on Amazon.  I was checking around for a bit once I found the one I wanted.  When I was ready to buy, Amazon had it for 25% off, which was a nice surprise.  Unfortunately, the freight company called yesterday to tell me it was damaged in shipping.  I've been talking back and forth with the distributor, who is of course sold out right now.  They told me once they get more in (expected in 2-3 days) they would ship one out.  I dont know if I should just request the refund or wait it out.  Im inclined to wait it out since I dont really need it right now and it was a great price, but it makes me nervous because even with the sale it was still expensive.

the good news is I've ordered seaberry seeds from three different sources so I should hopefully have some good genetic diversity.

There is mixed information out there on the best way to get the seeds started so Im going to try a few techniques and see what works best.  Some say just get them and plant them in 1/8" of seed starting mix under light to get them to germinate.  Some say to stratify them by wrapping in damp paper towel and refrigerating them for 90 days.  Some say just soak in water for 48 hours before planting.

I'll try all three and see what works best for me.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 698

Currently Online:
21 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

easytapper: 2149

DangerDuke: 2030

groinkick: 1667

PorkChopsMmm: 1515

Gravel Road: 1455