Goals for 2016? | General Homesteading Discussion | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed F-General-Homesteading
Goals for 2016?
K
Admin
Forum Posts: 31782
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
13 Dec ’15 - 11:51 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

2015 is coming to a wrap, what big goals do you have for the coming year?

I think we are done with animals for next year, with slaughtering the boys we will have enough meat to last quite a while and my wife wants a break. Except for bees, bees will be a priority in the spring.

So I will focus on the gardens, building a new greenhouse, practice woodworking and metalworking skills. Might take a few classes. 

My wife and I were thinking about redoing the yard layout again, not quite sure how that is going to turn out.

Probably going to tear down my daughter's old bedroom wall and repaint the house and change the layout some. We are thinking of tearing out the entertainment center/Island, with the wall down we will have room for a regular kitchen table.

What do you got planned?

Jain
Boonies, California
Farm Hand
Members
Forum Posts: 210
13 Dec ’15 - 12:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Improving our gardening soil and skills for growing fresh food. Re-reading The Owner Built Homestead has (re)enlightened me on the importance of soil development and better use of mulching for than as well as moisture aid.

My personal motto - The Home, a peace worth fighting for.

Gravel Road
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 1455
13 Dec ’15 - 4:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Our plan,

Build our home and preserve our marriage while doing it.

Not sure if we will have our CO by the end of 2016, but we should be close.

"The universe is wider than our views of it." -HDT
K
Admin
13 Dec ’15 - 4:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Gravel Road said
Our plan,

honestly, that is a concern, my wife told me that she will never do a construction job with me again, this was before our house. I promised that I would relax and have tried to hold true to that, it is a very stressful situation for both.

Jain
Boonies, California
Farm Hand
Members
Forum Posts: 210
13 Dec ’15 - 5:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Gravel Road said
Our plan,

That is a very insightful statement - do BOTH of you want to do the actual building? If not sounds like a disaster waiting to happen Surprised. It took us nearly 5 years to build our last home and we did it all together. I laid all the adobes on the interior and hubby did the exterior (16" double brick bearing wall). We each had our strengths and preferred tasks. But neither did 'more or less' than the other. What kept us going was our enjoyment of living 'remote' and being our own bosses. That and a very strong goal of finishing OUR house.

That said, it was also a mutual decision to have the next house built for us. Not only was it more financially possible after selling the one we built, but we knew we didn't have the time or patience to do it again. None the less, I was on site every day and did a lot of the sub contracting, planning and material pre selection so that the construction crew could do building instead of running around. Our contractor told us that he wished more people would 'build' like we did. But then again, I'm the house person and it was a labor of love for me - both times.

Gravel, is it possible to build in stages? Yes that can drag on the building process, but then you get to move in sooner and keep costs down (pay as go) and take rests between efforts. (Check out 'court yard' house concept in Tiny House topic).

Think up and consider as many alternatives as possible - one will probably suit you more too. BEST wishes!!

The following users say thank you to Jain for this useful post:

Speedfunk

My personal motto - The Home, a peace worth fighting for.

Alyssa
Idaho, USA
Green Horn
Members
Forum Posts: 4
13 Dec ’15 - 6:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

KVR said

Gravel Road said
Our plan,

honestly, that is a concern, my wife told me that she will never do a construction job with me again, this was before our house. I promised that I would relax and have tried to hold true to that, it is a very stressful situation for both.

We feel the same way! We just started our adventure and plan to build a barn in 2016 where we will live while building our house. Building has definitely invited a lot of stress into the relationship but we try to see it as an opportunity to learn more about ourselves, one another, and are working on communicating during rough times. We are starting with small projects (like building a hot tub deck with lumber milled ourselves) before we tackle the big fish. Hope our relationship is strong enough to survive our homestead!

"Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs."

Our off grid homesteading blog: http://purelivingforlife.com

Alyssa
Idaho, USA
Green Horn
Members
Forum Posts: 4
13 Dec ’15 - 7:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jain said

Gravel Road said
Our plan,

That is a very insightful statement - do BOTH of you want to do the actual building? If not sounds like a disaster waiting to happen Surprised. It took us nearly 5 years to build our last home and we did it all together. I laid all the adobes on the interior and hubby did the exterior (16" double brick bearing wall). We each had our strengths and preferred tasks. But neither did 'more or less' than the other. What kept us going was our enjoyment of living 'remote' and being our own bosses. That and a very strong goal of finishing OUR house.

That said, it was also a mutual decision to have the next house built for us. Not only was it more financially possible after selling the one we built, but we knew we didn't have the time or patience to do it again. None the less, I was on site every day and did a lot of the sub contracting, planning and material pre selection so that the construction crew could do building instead of running around. Our contractor told us that he wished more people would 'build' like we did. But then again, I'm the house person and it was a labor of love for me - both times.

Gravel, is it possible to build in stages? Yes that can drag on the building process, but then you get to move in sooner and keep costs down (pay as go) and take rests between efforts. (Check out 'court yard' house concept in Tiny House topic).

Think up and consider as many alternatives as possible - one will probably suit you more too. BEST wishes!!

That's great insight, Jain! We haven't started building our home yet (been living on our land for just 3 months!) but we have hope we can build a home together because our end goals are SO strong, and similar to yours. I don't have some deep drive to build a house, nor did I grow up learning any of the skills, but it seems to be a great way to build wealth, do things somewhat debt-free, be our own bosses, and I do want to be more well-rounded. I do anything I put my mind to, and I've committed to this lifestyle, but all said and done I don't know that I'd do it twice! I'll tell ya when we get "there"!

It does seem that if you can build one house, it opens up a host of options for future homes. The equity in a house you built can just be insane! We figure that we can flip our property when we're done and do it again, or buy a property that's already developed somewhat. I think in the end, we'll learn what we really enjoy doing and not... sometimes you don't know until you try it.

"Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs."

Our off grid homesteading blog: http://purelivingforlife.com

K
Admin
14 Dec ’15 - 6:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jain said

Gravel Road said
Our plan,

that's what speedfunk has been doing and seems to be working well for them

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 698

Currently Online:
15 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
2 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

easytapper: 2149

DangerDuke: 2030

groinkick: 1667

PorkChopsMmm: 1515