Goals for 2016? | Page 3 | General Homesteading Discussion | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed F-General-Homesteading
Goals for 2016?
Gravel Road
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 1455
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
24 Dec ’15 - 5:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

....wanted to reply to the folks regarding keeping a good marriage while building.

I (we) know there will be some real challenges and a clash or two at times.

Trying to be as organized as we can be.  We own the land, have access, have power to the barn at least and have the site ready to build on (I have that posted on the construction board (Limbic Acres))

I have most of the right trades that I need lined up...still need a dry wall guy...and a spray foam guy.  The people that we will hire for what we need are top notch and we have good relationships/history.

Have my materials sourced and so on...just fine tuning numbers now.

*Plan is to not worry about moving in by a certain date...we get done when we get done...and the plan is we don't move in till the inside is finished.

*The project is broken into several phases: get the 1st floor done (masonry and garage framed), then the roof guys come in and do attic trusses/metal roof, then complete 1st floor windows/doors...this would make us weather tight.  Then onto electrical, final plumbing and so on.

Good thing is that we have a house to live in and that we are in good shape financially (pending no major life events of course)...don't have to put existing house on the market til we are ready to move into new place.

One area that is tough...is that I have a lot of this in my head and I will be the guy coordinating it all...don't want my wife to feel left out and she wants to be a big part of this...and I want this to be something that we both do...just different skills sets.

I think if I count to 10 I/we should be okay...and I probably shouldn't throw a hammer at her...right???

...as for Speed Funk...I don't think I have 16 years to build my house like he did...I am pretty sure he made his own concrete blocks one at a time...(love ya Speed, LOL).

"The universe is wider than our views of it." -HDT
Gravel Road
Rancher
Members
25 Dec ’15 - 5:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

As for 2016...will be a big year for us in a few ways...a house build (which is big enough in itself) and also for health reasons:

Last year I went from 250 to 180.  I was watching what I ate and was more active...but nothing I was doing should have led to that fast of a drop in #'s.  When you lose that much weight so fast there are some things that can happen.  I ended up with gall stones & sludge and had to have the gallbladder out...normally not a big deal...Dr told me it was one of the 3 worst he had ever seen and it was so inflamed that scar tissue developed and adhered it to my liver and they had to 'separate' it little by little, ended up with Abdominal infection and other stuff, Dr could not believe that I was walking around and not complaining of pain all the time, he said I had an extensive threshold towards pain...still, no one could explain the rapid weight loss...that's another story...but don't be in too big a hurry to take it off as fast as you can...moderation is key.

...as for the why I lost so much in such a short time, I would like to think it was the stress of the last job, but the Dr's have been working me up for a couple types of lymph and blood issues...not anything I enjoy and no concrete answers yet, but we are on it and if there is something then we should be catching it early and fight it with all we can...either way, we plan to go forward with our build and take things as they come.

...Just had some tests the past two weeks and waiting to hear what they found (or didn't)...either way I know I will live forever...God don't want me yet and the Devil is afraid of me...just joking on that...just an odd time and it's exasperated by the fact my wife and I are in the medical fields and know too much for our own good...and on top of that she has 15 years in dedicated oncology...ignorance we be very blissful right now...Just have to see what happens and check the compass when we know more...either way...I will continue to be me...just might be a little more mellow at times.

....so...2016 is going to be a heck of a ride for us...so let's enjoy it!

The following users say thank you to Gravel Road for this useful post:

DangerDuke
K
Admin
Forum Posts: 31782
26 Dec ’15 - 8:58 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

and the plan is we don't move in till the inside is finished.

this is a huge part of where our stress came over the years, we lived in three different construction zones, I promised that this last one would be 100 percent before we moved in.

K
Admin
26 Dec ’15 - 9:01 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Gravel Road said
As for 2016...will be a big year for us in a few ways...a house build (which is big enough in itself) and also for health reasons:

Last year I went from 250 to 180.  I was watching what I ate and was more active...but nothing I was doing should have led to that fast of a drop in #'s.  When you lose that much weight so fast there are some things that can happen.  I ended up with gall stones & sludge and had to have the gallbladder out...normally not a big deal...Dr told me it was one of the 3 worst he had ever seen and it was so inflamed that scar tissue developed and adhered it to my liver and they had to 'separate' it little by little, ended up with Abdominal infection and other stuff, Dr could not believe that I was walking around and not complaining of pain all the time, he said I had an extensive threshold towards pain...still, no one could explain the rapid weight loss...that's another story...but don't be in too big a hurry to take it off as fast as you can...moderation is key.

...as for the why I lost so much in such a short time, I would like to think it was the stress of the last job, but the Dr's have been working me up for a couple types of lymph and blood issues...not anything I enjoy and no concrete answers yet, but we are on it and if there is something then we should be catching it early and fight it with all we can...either way, we plan to go forward with our build and take things as they come.

...Just had some tests the past two weeks and waiting to hear what they found (or didn't)...either way I know I will live forever...God don't want me yet and the Devil is afraid of me...just joking on that...just an odd time and it's exasperated by the fact my wife and I are in the medical fields and know too much for our own good...and on top of that she has 15 years in dedicated oncology...ignorance we be very blissful right now...Just have to see what happens and check the compass when we know more...either way...I will continue to be me...just might be a little more mellow at times.

....so...2016 is going to be a heck of a ride for us...so let's enjoy it!

Damn, hope everything comes out negative. Cheers to 2016!

Gravel Road
Rancher
Members
27 Dec ’15 - 12:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks K,  Not sure what will happen...I know they will at least watch me for 12 to 18 months for lymphoma...there is enough 'sign' there to warrant that.

K, you have a pretty good idea of how I am...Like how I fought to get my variance for my 'tiny house'; I did that not only for us but to make things easier for those that come after me, I am building a simple home that has many inherent efficiencies for us and to show other's that you don't need a so called smart house in order to save money and still be green.  There is no way I am going to let the 'what if' part of life sucker punch me...I have too much tenacity for that.

One thing that drives me in life...pretty much in every aspect of life is the story of my Dad...he was raised in the Great Depression, 10 kids, thankfully he grew up on a farm and always had good food, still it was not a good time, he was one of the first drafted in January of 1942 for WWII, he went down three times in a bomber (once was mechanical failure over the ocean and they were able to safely ditch the bomber, another time he was shot down and had to parachute out over the ocean, third time shot down and he was a POW of the Germans) so If he made it through all that and kept on going in horrible times...well, I have nothing to complain about...I believe I have it a Hell of a lot easier then he did.

I will fight as long as I draw breath.

The following users say thank you to Gravel Road for this useful post:

DangerDuke
K
Admin
28 Dec ’15 - 7:15 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great perspective Gravel.

spotted-horses
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 1272
29 Dec ’15 - 4:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well I hope for some forward movement. This past year was a challenge in terms of actually moving forward.

my sister will be moving down in May. We will be building an addition onto the house.

havign another person here will really make a difference for me.

ive applied for a grant for a high tunnel green house.

Im considering a partnership with another woman farmer. She has experience with CSA and farm to school programs. We have exactly the same ideas, and she has been farming for several years and understands the reality of it. The place that she has been working just hasn't panned out for her. 

Be RADICAL Grow Food

K
Admin
30 Dec ’15 - 8:27 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

awesome, I know you have been talking about that for a couple years, good to see it is finally happening.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 698

Currently Online: boydkindler10
9 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

easytapper: 2149

DangerDuke: 2030

groinkick: 1667

PorkChopsMmm: 1515

Gravel Road: 1455