Our Urban Food Garden - 2014 | Page 6 | Food Production and Preservation | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed F-Food-Production
Our Urban Food Garden - 2014
groinkick
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 1667
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
14 Apr ’14 - 9:14 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

KE, I have always loved your approach to permaculture. I think I might add a pea and bean trellis to the south side of my house.

Kamikaze-Emu
Farm Hand
Members
Forum Posts: 601
27 Apr ’14 - 2:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So things have been moving along over the last couple weeks. 

We had our first harvest from the garden when we pulled some chive to go with our breakfast.

We have some peas and lettuce coming up that we planted a few weeks ago when we built the trellis.

About 12 of the 30 heads of garlic I put in last fall are up and looking happy.

Out tulips are not that far off from flowering.

We also planted some red fife heritage wheat.  We use this wheat a lot so thought it would be cool to grow some.  More for fun than anything else.

It was mostly cloudy so we took the seedlings outside to harden off a bit.  Last frost is about two weeks away.  We have some yellowing on the tomatoes so we are keeping an eye on that.

We planted our lettuce/kale/chard/sorrel bed as that can go in before last frost.

And last but not least I found a straggler red onion from last year so I pulled it out and dropped it back in with the garlic.

K
Admin
Forum Posts: 31782
28 Apr ’14 - 8:52 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

looks outstanding KE

Kamikaze-Emu
Farm Hand
Members
1 Jun ’14 - 10:38 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So I am a bit behind updating as things have been busy.  These shots are from May 17 when we planted outside. 

First things first we built a new 4x8 bed running parallel to the sidewalk at the front of our house. 

We also turned the compost.  The pile was not large enough to keep composting through the winter so there is still a lot of composting left before this can hit the garden.

We have been making friends left and right.

Our garlics are a happy bunch.

And the kiwis finally shook off their slumber. 

There was some yellowing on the tomatoes by the time there were able to go outside, but overall I am happy with how they did and how much larger they are this year because we used a lighting system.

Our ground cherries were small, but seemed happy.

Kamikaze-Emu
Farm Hand
Members
1 Jun ’14 - 10:38 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

We added scarlett runner beans into the trellis area. Peas are up and happy!

So now the front back bed is fully planted in roma/heirloom/ground cherry to compliment the garlic.

And the side front bed is in red/yellow cherry tomatoes with basil up front. The basil might be crowded but we thought we would try anyway. Worst thing that happens is we don't get a lot of basil off these guys and the rest of the yield will stay in the system as dirt for next year.

We also noticed a lot of volunteer strawberries in the front lawn, so we decided not to cut that area for now to see if we can get some treats!

K
Admin
1 Jun ’14 - 10:51 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

very nice

K
Admin
30 Jun ’14 - 9:30 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

How's the garden going? How's the job search coming?

Kamikaze-Emu
Farm Hand
Members
1 Jul ’14 - 1:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Have no fear, I'm still alive! Been a busy month. Twice I have take photos for updates but I ran out of steam before I could post. About a month ago I got a job with a contractor that focuses on residential work. It has been really good as we share a similar background outside the trades and it is just he and I so I get to work along side him and learn as much as possible. We've been doing basement/bathroom renos, some under slab work to fix some plumbing issues, some structural work on an 1890's home (handmade nails are cool, 36" floor joist spacing is not), and we have a full addition lined up for the fall. He is very busy so I should be in steady work until the end of the year, with a good chance for keeping busy all winter. I don't think I could have drawn up a better situation and I feel really lucky to have arrived here so quickly. I am just going to soak up as much as I can and do my best to produce quality work.

Now on to the good stuff! The garden is doing really awesome and we are very happy. Aside from a worm or two eating some kale and other greens things have been moving along very well.

This is our greens bed beside the house. We have pulled a good bit of spinach out of here so far and the rest of the bed is finally getting going. Things are sparse here and a bit disappointing, but we will still get a good amount of food from here.

Our red/yellow cherries are doing pretty good. The pots in front are extra seedlings we did not have space for.

We have some cherry tomatoes just starting.

The trellis area is doing awesome and plans are in the works to add more to the left of the existing one. I want to get some beans to grow over the window you see as it lets in a lot of western sun. The peas are topping out about 8 feet tall right now, and the beans are starting to run their vines and fill in.

A few beans have flowered. This is our first time with scarlett runners so it was cool to see their flowers and how they grow.

We have been eating peas for a couple weeks now and they are settling into a good rhythm of production.

The garlic and tomato bed is going crazy! The garlic seems to be doing very well and the tomatoes are already the size they reached by the end of last year.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 698

Currently Online:
19 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

easytapper: 2149

DangerDuke: 2030

groinkick: 1667

PorkChopsMmm: 1515

Gravel Road: 1455