Our Urban Food Garden - 2014 | Page 7 | Food Production and Preservation | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed F-Food-Production
Our Urban Food Garden - 2014
Kamikaze-Emu
Farm Hand
Members
Forum Posts: 601
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1 Jul ’14 - 1:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

We harvested most of our scapes the other day but there are still a few stragglers.

The ground cherries were super small when we put them out but they are putting on some size and starting to produce.

I am really excited to try our black pear tomatoes. I love their huge leaves and their fruit looks really cool.

And the roma tomatoes have started as well.

The hardy kiwi are filling in and growing up! My buddy lost all but his roots this winter as it was so harsh so I was really happy that ours made it through with no issues. I think we can thank the micro climate of that southern facing corner.

Our red fife wheat trial is going well as far as I can tell. We really like this heritage wheat so we put some in for fun. Based on this next year we will try to grow some more.

Kamikaze-Emu
Farm Hand
Members
1 Jul ’14 - 1:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The middle bed in front is doing well. The cilantro and dill seem very happy. Our peppers did not to well this year again so we had to buy seedlings. The leeks are thickening up, and something ate a lot of our red onions!

We have about eight little peppers on the go!

The new bed in front just started to take off in the last week. The cucumber, zucchini, and watermelon are doing alright, while the spaghetti squash is absolutely massive!

One of our first two squash flowers, both are female unfortunately.

And try two of our watermelon experiment seems to be going better.

jonathco
Michigan
Rancher
Members
Forum Posts: 1102
1 Jul ’14 - 11:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wow, everything is looking great KE. Nice work. 

K
Admin
Forum Posts: 31782
3 Jul ’14 - 9:38 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

that's outstanding KE!

K
Admin
6 Nov ’14 - 8:19 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Was it a success?

Kamikaze-Emu
Farm Hand
Members
22 Nov ’14 - 10:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Was a pretty good year.  Garden did not get a ton of love once it was rolling as I was working a lot this summer.  I did not take a lot of pics this year, which I regret as I always love having a reminder of just how awesome the garden is.  Here is a dump of a few harvest pics from my phone.

Our watermelon and squash got hit pretty hard by squirrels.  I fashioned some cages to put over each fruit/veg but they still dug their little paws in there and damaged the skin.  You can especially see this on the watermelon up above.  I will have to find a better solution for next year. 

We have planted hot peppers but not had much luck in having them actually be hot.  We managed to grow a single incredibly hot pepper this year.  Trouble was we did not think any would be hot so we ended up using a few smaller ones on our pizza one night and it made it almost inedible, without knowing which one was the hot one it was hard to pull the appropriate peppers off.  Was funny and satisfying all at once.  Other peppers did awesome this year as well. 

We have around 16 medium sized freezer bags of tomatoes in the deep freeze for soups and stews over the winter, most of them are roma as they did really well this year.   Our heritage tomatoes did not do so hot, they would rot on the vine quiet easily so we probably lost 75% of our production.  We will likely not plant them again.  

By final harvest we had around 10 spaghetti squash stored, and considering we ate them through the summer as well I think we did pretty good. 

The kale and chard bed was looking good until about a week ago when the cold set in.  Now aside from a single rosemary plant and the garlic underground the garden is closed up.

We let our garlic stay in too long, so at harvest the outer wrapping was gone.  We used some but mostly I replanted them a few weeks back (about 110 cloves) so we are on to 2015 already! 

We continued to have great response from random people that walk by.  One older couple was walking by one morning and told me that our garden as pretty much the best use of a lawn he could think of.  Another lady stopped by and chatted for almost an hour with my girlfriend over the garden one morning.

Stronger bodies, stronger minds, and stronger communities.  I can't see a downside. 

The following users say thank you to Kamikaze-Emu for this useful post:

Hessian
K
Admin
22 Nov ’14 - 11:05 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

you are a true inspiration for people in a urban setting

Hessian
Farm Hand
Members
Forum Posts: 639
7 Jan ’15 - 8:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Awesome and great to see so many heirloom varieties.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 698

Currently Online:
18 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

easytapper: 2149

DangerDuke: 2030

groinkick: 1667

PorkChopsMmm: 1515

Gravel Road: 1455